Monday, May 13, 2013

Behind the scenes

            Your in for a special treat! This will not be a tutorial (sorry!) You get to go behind the scenes of how tiered cakes are made. I cant even count the number of times people have looked at a cake and asked me how its made. So go ahead and enjoy the process with me 
:)




 I started with whipping up my favorite chocolate cake batter. As you can see i greased and floured my cake pan before I added the batter 


                            After baking they have to cool for a few hours
                   Unless you like your cake bumpy and uneven it has to be leveled
           I use wilton cake leveler. Its very reasonably priced and gets the job done
AH thats better! A perfectly flat surface...On the right is what got trimmed off (I never throw the scraps away. My family eats them up in seconds)
After putting them on cake boards I freeze them. Cake is much easier to work with when its frozen
                           Before I put a second cake on top I frost the middle
Here is 2 cakes stacked on top of each other with frosting in the middle (That makes 1 tier)  I know what your thinking, this is not pretty! lol but to get rid of crumbs you have to give the cakes a quick crumb coat and pop them back in the freezer. Later when you add more frosting the crumbs will already be frozen into the light crumb coat so you don't have to worry about the pesky crumbs ruining your decorations
This particular cake i'm using fondant which comes in a package like this white
                                          I've worked in some pink color
           I dusted my table with a little powdered sugar so now its time to rock and roll
    After I rolled it flat, starting at the ends, i rolled up the rolling pin into the fondant 
   
      after getting my cake out of the freezer I unrolled the fondant onto the cake
Time to smooth the fondant onto the cake. This step can be tricky the first few times you do it
after trimming the edges I had a few imperfections that I easily smoothed out

After a few hours of decorating (not including baking) heres the finished cake! It's for a Baby shower so I wanted to make it as girly as possible. I thought the tiara on top and the purple tulle underneath were the perfect finishing touches
Here's a close up so you can see some of the detail. I'm sure you noticed i didn't show you my decorating process.....I wont give out all my secrets ;) I don't know about you but i'm hungry for something sweet.

 The other 2 chicks and I appreciate all your support on our blog. It means a lot to us :) Thanks a bunch!

3 chicks,
Hannah,Joyce, and Marisol

No comments:

Post a Comment